This site may earn chapter commissions from the links on this page. Terms of use.

A few weeks back, we covered the launch of Firefox Breakthrough (Firefox 57). On newspaper, information technology looked pretty adept — faster commencement times, faster UI, better multi-threading, claimed performance improvements even confronting Chrome. But in all honesty, I was skeptical.

I've used Firefox for well over a decade, simply it'southward been a long time since I would've described it as a keen browser. Its UI was never as fast as Chrome or Chromium-derived browsers, and information technology had an irritating habit of sending RAM usage and single-thread CPU utilize through the roof, often bogging downwardly my entire organization until I killed information technology. A full reinstall + Firefox profile deletion earlier this year fixed some of these issues, but not all of them. Similarly, activating Firefox's new multithreading mode did improve things a bit, but information technology didn't completely resolve my functioning or system resource problems.

Firefox 57 (Firefox Quantum) has solved these problems, at least for me. While this article isn't a formal review, I'grand not the simply person to spend fourth dimension with the browser and come up away thinking Mozilla has knocked ane out of the park. Wired has an all-encompassing write-up on the new features of Quantum, its customizability, and speed. HowToGeek echoes these claims and praises the browser's power to parallelize CSS sheets across all CPU cores and its still-powerful virtually:config tool for low-level access to various tools and abilities.

Mozilla isn't resting on its laurels, either. A security expert who created the "Accept I Been Pwned" tool to check and run across whether your login credentials take been stolen has confirmed the site will exist working with Mozilla to fold this functionality directly into the browser.

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/condition/933450112562429952

My own utilise-cases for Firefox are more than mundane. I don't utilize many add-ons and I don't do much personalization. What I do need, from whatever browser, is the ability to juggle tons of tabs and enough long-term stability to avoid the kinds of memory-hogging, CPU bicycle-eating issues that used to leave me restarting FF 2-4x per mean solar day. Quantum doesn't just evangelize — information technology delivers perfectly. I haven't had to restart Firefox due to stability or system-wide performance issues one time since upgrading. The browser handles the extensions I use (which, once again, isn't exactly tons) with ease. I can't speak for whether information technology uses memory more efficiently than Chrome, but given that Chrome is known to employ more RAM than other browsers, I don't find that claim difficult to believe.

Of course, at that place's no guarantee that a proficient browser volition win commensurate market share, and I can't say whether Chrome will see any loss. But if yous migrated away from Firefox in the by, or accept just stuck with Google Chrome because conventional wisdom said Chrome was faster, I'd recommend giving Quantum a try. Information technology's easily the fastest, about-stable version of FF that I've used in recent and non-so-recent memory.